G2 Ocean receives environmental recognition
G2 Ocean receives the Blue Circle Award for the fourth consecutive year for its efforts to help maintain and protect the natural environment in and around the Port of Vancouver, Canada.
On 1 June, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority announced that G2 Ocean is among 13 shipping carriers to receive the Blue Circle Award for its voluntary efforts to conserve energy and reduce emissions at the port.
The award is presented annually to shipping companies that excel in environmental stewardship and attain the highest level of participation in the port authority’s voluntary environmental programs such as the EcoAction Program , which G2 Ocean has been part of since 2017.
“We applaud our port terminal, shipping, and industry partners for their voluntary efforts to go above and beyond to follow environmental best practices, and in 2020 they did this during an exceedingly challenging year,” said Robin Silvester, president and chief executive officer at the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.
Head of Sustainability at G2 Ocean, Cecilie Koch Hatlebrekke is proud to receive the award for the fourth year in a row.
“This award serves as a validation of the steps we are taking to conserve, improve and protect the natural resources and environment in Vancouver, as well as other areas we operate in,” Cecilie says.
G2 Ocean has in recent years taken several measures to improve environmental performance across its fleet. Examples include hull monitoring, propeller polishing, using fuel additives, and monitoring fuel consumption and vessel efficiency through digital tools.
“At G2 Ocean, environmental improvements are high on our agenda. Developing sustainable shipping solutions is at the forefront of our business strategy, and we are committed to continuing to seek new and more effective ways to improve our performance,” Cecilie says.
About the Blue Circle Award
- The Blue Circle Awards recognize marine carriers and terminal operators that excel in environmental stewardship and attain the highest participation rates in the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority’s EcoAction Program.
- G2 Ocean has been a member of the EcoAction Program since 2017.
- The EcoAction Program recognises a variety of fuel, technology and environmental management options that are eligible to receive discounted harbour due rates. Ships may qualify for one of three levels in the EcoAction Program: Gold, Silver or Bronze.
- To receive the Blue Circle Award, at least 50 per cent of G2 Ocean’s vessels must achieve a bronze rating or higher.
- Of the 36 G2 Ocean vessels calling the Port of Vancouver in 2020, 18 qualified for an award level: 12 met bronze, 4 met silver and 2 met gold status.
Blue Circle Award recipients:
This year’s Blue Circle Award Shipping Line recipients are:
|COSCO SHIPPING||“K” Line|
|Evergreen Line||MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company (Canada) Inc.|
|Fednav Ltd.||ONE – Ocean Network Express|
|G2 Ocean||Pacific Basin Shipping (Canada) Ltd.|
|Hyundai Merchant Marine (HMM)||Westwood Shipping Lines|
|Yang Ming Line|