G2 Ocean adds two more ammonia-ready vessels to its fleet
G2 Ocean is expanding its carrying capacity by adding two more ammonia-ready 82,300 dwt Open Hatch vessels to its fleet. CSSC Huangpu Wenchong Longxue will build the vessels which will be delivered in 2026.
G2 Ocean has achieved another milestone in its sustainable growth strategy with an additional two ammonia-ready vessels being delivered to its pool in 2026 by its shareholder, the Grieg Maritime Group (Grieg).
Following its commitment to only purchase newbuilt vessels with zero-emission technology, Grieg signed a contract in May 2023 with the shipyard CSSC Huangpu Wenchong Longxue which included two firm plus two optional 82,300 deadweight tonne (dwt) ammonia-ready open hatch vessels. Last week, Grieg exercised its option for the two additional vessels. All four vessels will be delivered to G2 Ocean’s pool in 2026.
“With this expansion, G2 Ocean is increasing its carrying capacity and further demonstrating its commitment to providing flexible and sustainable shipping solutions to our customers,” said Arthur English, Chief Executive Officer at G2 Ocean.
Equipped with duel-fuel engines, 120 metric tonnes crane capacity, tween decks, a battery package to make peak-shaving a possibility and shore power options, the Chinese-built vessels will be the largest, most environmentally friendly, and technologically advanced carriers in the G2 Ocean fleet.
“The design and size of the vessels make them very flexible, allowing us to meet the requirements of our customers worldwide. With this delivery, we are also able to take another important step on our decarbonisation journey and our target of becoming net-zero by 2050,” English said.
About the vessels
- The vessels have a capacity of 82,300 deadweight ton.
- All vessels will have:
- dual-fuel engines allowing them to operate both on fuel oil and ammonia
- two centre Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) fully electric cranes that will be able to lift 120 metric tons each, with a tandem of 240 metric tons. Front and aft will have two 75 metric tons VFD fully electric cranes.
- tweendecks in the middle holds
- shore-power possibility
- CSSC Huangpu Wenchong Longxue are building the vessels in China
- The ships will be delivered to G2 Ocean in 2026
Click the image to view the image gallery.