The G2 Ocean Graduate Programme
G2 Ocean are looking for self motivated university graduates with strong business acumen, an innovative mindset, natural leadership ability combined with a desire to develop a career in shipping.
Over 18 months, our programme offers graduates the unique opportunity to learn about every facet of the business, whether corporate, operational and commercial, whilst completing assignments both at home and potentially overseas in locations such as Brazil, USA, Norway, Philippines and China.
This is underpinned by a comprehensive development programme which will help you develop your personal and leadership skills.
At the end of the programme, you will have the opportunity to move into an international posting on either the operational or commercial side.
What to expect
An international programme that will greatly improve your professional and personal development.
Each year our ships make thousands of port calls in more than 70 countries on five continents. During your job rotations, some of which may be international, you will gain the knowledge and learning that help G2 Ocean and their teams demonstrate their passion, expertise and excellence in working with customers
This will include:
- Developing a foundation knowledge in Operations which will underpin the rest of your assignments you’re your career in G2 Ocean.
- Spending time on the Commercial desk to immerse yourself in the complexities of brokering deals and planning cost effective trade lanes
- Shadowing our operators in Manila who manage the logistics of a voyage ensuring an efficient and reliable service
- Working with the Port Operations group to ensure the smooth transition of cargo and supplies on and off the vessel
- Understanding marine accounting and how to measure the cost effectiveness of a voyage
- Spend time aboard a G2 Ocean vessel to experience life at sea
Spending times with your experienced colleagues is vital to understand the business and the G2 Ocean way of working.
Problem solving, leading other people, and building relationship is an important part of the programme.
The experiences you gain on the Programme will last a lifetime. However we offer so much more than just technical training. We will also provide additional development through personal learning and coaching. During the program you will be:
- Assigned a mentor to support you throughout the programme and in your transition to a permanent role at the end of the 18 months
- Develop your general business skills and acumen through on the job training and experience gained in job rotations
- Learn about building relationships, leading people and other key personal skills
- Develop a truly global mindset through experiencing and working with different cultures with the chance to build relationships all over the world, helping you to learn, develop and shape you career
Listen what former graduate programme participant Orestis Bakas have to say about his experiences.
What we look for
G2 Ocean want to be pioneering sustainable shipping solutions, working as one team, in one way. Our values are based on our owners values: Responsibility, innovation, integrity, respect, solid, open, committed and proud. These underpin the way we do business. So as well as considering your academic achievements we look to see how you demonstrate these values through your skills and behaviours.
In terms of a candidate profile we look for the following in our potential candidates:
- Bachelors degree or higher
- Motivated self starter with strong business acumen
- Teamworker with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Possess and demonstrates natural leadership abilities
- Innovative mindset with the ability to go beyond the obvious in their thinking
- Has the desire to learn, experience new challenges and diverse cultures
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Willingness to work globally
We do not specifically seek maritime degrees or experience although for some areas of the business this knowledge can be advantageous. For Bergen we also look for people within IT systems development. Ideally we are looking for individuals who have the right interpersonal skills and abilities to have a successful career in G2Ocean.
How to apply
We are currently looking for graduates to be based in these offices (deadline for application in parenthesis):
- Shanghai (31st March)
- Melbourne (31st March)
- Bergen (20th April)
- Rio de Janeiro (20th April)
To apply please use the application form.
We will also be announcing other locations in due course so do check back.
Candidates who are successful and pass the initial screening will then be invited to an assessment centre. The assessment centre will test your abilities and skills that you need to be successful at G2 Ocean. It usually includes a behavioural interview and group exercises. Research and preparation are key to your success.
“Success, you’ve got the job!”
Candidates will be informed within 10 days of the assessment centre that they have been successful. Once the offer has been accepted G2 Ocean will do everything possible to make joining as easy as possible.
If you have any questions about the rpogramme, please contact Sara Hay-Jahans